Sunday, October 28, 2007

Thinking "Outside the Field"

I was so excited and honored when Patrick Higgins invited me to be an author on Tech Dossier. I have just recently begun to explore the world of Web 2.0, and the reason this has occurred is because Patrick has been so willing to introduce this world to me and our district. Another huge excitement and positive push to become more involved with technology has been the program for the Tablet PC's. Having my own Tablet PC has really given me the freedom to explore new avenues as an educator.

I am a Health and Physical Education teacher at the high school and I have really been trying to move my thoughts and discipline into this fast-moving computer age. My field is extremely health and wellness oriented. Health is something that is changing everyday, and it is difficult to keep up with. Just this past week the "MRSA" virus has taken over the media, and our high school has had to create a plan of action to avoid this virus from entering our school. Wellness is an area that my colleagues and I have to really work at to get students involved. Getting our students, and our nation to understand the importance of keeping our bodies in good physical condition can really be a challenge.

In this day and age, students are more sedentary than ever. It is difficult to motivate the majority of our nations' student population to step away from our electronic world and step into a world that will strengthen their hearts. There is significant empirical evidence that students' sedentary lifestyle and poor eating habits are dramatically affecting their quality of life.


Barry Bachenheimer is an adjunct professor at Montclair State University. One of his students, who's name was not given, created this video below. I wanted people to see it because I think it demonstrates the empirical data well, and puts our nations' health issues into perspective.





It is important to keep our students' on a healthy track in life, so that they can meet their potential in all the other important aspects of life. We as educators have a captured audience. I would like to try to bring technology into my "field", and get the most out of that captured audience. I am hoping, by getting my thoughts out there, people will see the importance of my discipline, and help contribute to making it more of a priority.

3 comments:

Debra said...

I agree, Cath, that we need to impress upon our students the importance of physical well being. I wish there were a way that we, as the "captors," could model this behavior by participating in a phys ed class - even if only for a period or two per week. For me it would actually accomplish two goals if I could attend a PE class during school: it would set an example for my students and it would give me an alternative opportunity to exercise, a low priority in my always too busy schedule. I think that it would make a significant impression on some students to see educators other than PE teachers engaged in physical activity, in much the same way they are surprised to see that we grocery shop, go to the movies, etc.

I applaud your determination to bring technology into your department.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy,
I enjoyed your blog. This year I am running a program for sixth graders called Student Success Skills. One of the most important facets of the program involves the importance of exercise and nutrition. We had the students participate in an activity that linked exercise/nutrition to cognitive ability and memory function. The students have been setting goals for themselves,and creating action plans to become more successful in their academic program, self-management, and their relationships. They are excited by the results they are starting to see. I am hopeful that at the end of the program the activities we are teaching will become a part of the students' daily routines.
Good luck with the many wonderful things you are doing!

Cath Wille said...

Hi Fran,
Thanks for the support and comment. It sounds like you are doing wonderful things with your students also. Do you have a blog or website that I can follow you with? Would love to follow your progress!