Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fitness Friday


Our department has come up with the idea of having every Friday be a "Fitness Friday". Each Friday we take all our PE classes to the track, and the students run the half-mile. Their goal is to be consistent or improve their times. Their times are based on the first time they ran it, which was for the Presidential test. They are allowed to be within 30 seconds of this time. It can be 30 seconds slower, or 30 seconds faster, but it must be within this time frame in order for them to maintain their effort and participation grade. Fitness Friday is run during first marking period, and during fourth marking period.

I teach freshman, and I am pleasantly surprised at their level of motivation and effort to try to be consistent or improve their times. It is refreshing to see them work so hard and see their level of excitement when they lower their time!

I record the students' results each time we do complete the event. I have a lot of empirical data that could really be used to mark the level of improvement or decline for each student. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where or what I can do with all of this data? Should I be entering it into a computer program that generates a graph for each student? Should the information be sent to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for their statistical analysis? If anyone has any information on this matter, I would greatly appreciate some direction or suggestions.



Technorati Tags:

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: