Saturday, March 8, 2008

NJAPHERD Conference


Last week, I attended the New Jersey Alliance for Health and Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (NJAPHERD) annual conference. I had not attended this conference for 14 years, and felt that it was time to get re-inspired and involved on a local level again.

This conference was so inspiring and motivating. There were over 800 Health and PE Educators that attended from New Jersey. It was the most attended conference they have had. The keynote speaker, Christine Brennan, spoke to a standing room only crowd of intent listening physical educators.

The conference ran from Sunday afternoon through Tuesday afternoon, from eight in the morning to four in the afternoon. Every hour during the conference there were over 8 sessions being offered. I attended over 12 sessions in the time I was there, and each session provided me with hope and inspiration in my field of study. To witness the passion and message that different instructors, teachers, organizations, and vendors provided was truly motivating. Some of the sessions I attended involved marketing our discipline, nutrition and PE technology, HPV lessons, Adventure game activities, and dance, dance, revolution lessons. There were so many sessions that I wanted to attend, but could not because they were running at the same time as the ones I felt were most applicable to my district.

The conference has rejuvenated me, and provided some long lost hope that I can make a difference in what I am teaching. Whether people acknowledge that my discipline is one of the most important subjects or not, I realize that I need to continue fighting for what I believe. I take my job seriously because I realize the importance and positive affect it can have on our youth. I am glad that I attended this conference and I look forward to implementing what I have learned, and going back next year to attain more knowledge, rejuvenation, and hope.

2 comments:

mpg said...

I think the most important lesson learned is to get out there. I know every time I see a workshop or conference that might interest me, I stop and say, "But I have to leave the building, it's a commute, it might not be worth it." Then when I go and return, I am motivated to do something even if the outing is of minimal value. More importantly, we need to encourage/motivate others to take the leap and "get out there".

Anonymous said...

I feel that way too. When things are offered, so few people act on them. How do we motivate people to "get involved"? It is ALWAYS worth the effort.

js